Thursday, February 12, 2015

Everything in Moderation: Finding Balance in FDK

"Talk to yourself like you would someone you love" - Brene Brown

We are our own worst critics and as we wrap up writing our report cards we sometimes become hard on ourselves wishing we had done more, learned more, experienced more.

One thing that I have been reflecting on since we have finished writing our reports has been the concept of "prescribed" activities (for lack of better language).

This is something that has been at the forefront of my mind lately. As I program plan and think about addressing the needs of each individual child, I have reflected on the balance that is important in the relationship between teaching and learning.

Since Full Day Kindergarten has rolled out there has been a gradual shift for many educators towards less structured whole group learning and more learning integrated in the children's play. This has been a significant and important shift in our education system that is beginning to impact primary and junior rooms as well. Although many educators taught with an inquiry stance and through play prior to FDK, it has truly shone a spotlight on the potential of student led learning in Ontario.

Although I strongly feel and believe that most children will interact with the curriculum through play, projects, and inquiry I do believe that intervention is also important for some children. Children come to school with so many different backgrounds, experiences, and exposure. Further to that, the developmental needs of the children in the classroom vary significantly.

Cheryl and I plan short, small group instruction on a weekly basis in both literacy and numeracy. Our groups are intentional, purposeful, and planned to meet the needs of the children in them. Our small groups are short and we aim to make them as engaging as we can. When we do a math small group, our learning often takes the form of a game that will reinforce mathematical skills or problem solving. In our literacy groups, we are always interacting with books (sometimes levelled readers, sometimes a large shared text) with a focus on early literacy skills and vocabulary development.

Our small groups take up 20-40 minutes combined in the day which leaves a significant amount of time for both Cheryl and I to be in play with the children to support their development and learn alongside them.

Sometimes students will work with an educator on a skill such as fine motor development. In these small groups, I find that we sometimes offer activities that would be considered "prescribed" and are certainly not open ended tasks. Today, two children used a colouring book that one had brought from home and crayola triangular crayons. We would not provide our whole class with a colouring page, but for these particular students there was an interest and a goal. We worked on techniques for holding the crayons and worked to control our hands/wrists to stay within the lines. The children were interested and engaged, but a part of me wondered...is this ok?

Many of our students also receive Speech Language support and are left with activities that are somewhat prescribed to practice and reinforce the skills that they are working on (e.g., sorting pictures based on an attribute or sound). At first I hesitated and tried to find other ways to get at the skills, but then I realized that the activity had a purpose and intention based around their speech goals and wondered why I was making extra work for myself?

I have also been reading a lot about learning sight words or letters and sounds. Many of our students develop letters, sounds, and words from environmental print, shared experiences, and often in their writing. But...is it ok to play a game with sight words after reading with a small group? Why do I feel guilty sometimes including these types of activities?

At our Kindergarten book club last night we talked about iPad apps and games that reinforce mathematical concepts. For examples, a game that practices subitizing by flashing dot images and then inviting children to press how many they see. Do I think that this app can teach subitizing? Certainly not. I recognize that subitizing in a small group or working one on one with students would be more effective. But practicing skills independently can also be important. So I wonder...are those types of apps good for practice? Is it ok for students to use them to reinforce skills? I'm still not completely sure how I feel, I grew up playing games on my computer that supported me in developing math and literacy skills ... does it harm children? does it help?

The more I reflect on it the more I realize that it comes back to what it usually does for me...balance. I don't use a sight word game in isolation as my sole method of teaching, but rather as a way to practice...when appropriate and when connected!

All of this thinking brought me back to listening to Suzanne Axelsson (http://interactionimagination.blogspot.ca/) speak last year at Acorn School. I remember she talked about "crafts" being a challenge. She wanted us to think about how a "craft" could be intentional and have a purpose (listening, fine motor, following instructions). Perhaps crafts could be a challenge for children if thought through and intentional. She said "if we only look at the product versus the process it is challenging to understand what the intentions were". I think this is really critical to think about as well!

Ultimately, I think when we rely too heavily on only one way of teaching and learning we will run into roadblocks. I think we always have to be reflective about each child, their needs, and what they need the most from us.

Most importantly, be kind to yourself and others on this journey. Sometimes there are intentions behind activities, provocations, or learning that may not be obvious to an outsider. Ask questions, support your colleagues, and move forward as learners together.

8 comments:

  1. Tracy,

    I admire your honesty in this reflective post. I, too, find myself questioning whether the choices I make in my program are "okay" or if they support my belief of developing the whole child. Thank-you for sharing. It is so important to be gentle with ourselves when we are navigating through as learners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen. It is something we all struggle with and contemplate in our own rooms. We are our own worst critics sometimes...we do so many wonderful things but can so easily become bogged down by what we didn't have time for or what we wish we did better! Celebrate the little things! :)

      Delete
  2. I also struggle with my choices throughout the day as well. I'm glad I am not the only one. I do hope you are coming to Sault Ste. Marie soon so that you are able to help us reflect on what we are doing in our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo!
      Thanks for connecting. Cheryl and I are really looking forward to coming to Sault Ste Marie!! It will be an adventure and a day full of learning, sharing and reflecting! Looking forward to meeting you and your colleagues!

      Delete
  3. This post is just what I needed! Thank you for sharing the thoughts that many of us are feeling. My journey in FDK has brought me to the same conclusion....that balance is the key. I believe that small group, direct instruction (based on childrens' needs) is an important piece of the program. But it is not the whole of the program and I won't compromise play and inquiry for it.
    Sometimes we can be quick to judge, ourselves and others, and we can be left feeling that what we are doing isn't "right" I am so glad to know that I am not alone. And I think that, if we are continually reflecting on our practices and questioning what we are doing, then we are better off. It's when we stop rethinking when we may become 'stuck'. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracy,
    Yet another reflective post on what it means to be a reflective practitioner. Thank you for being so articulate and honest with your reflections. I always look forward to your posts that always provide a nudge, a push or a wonder for me as an educator. Like many that have commented and even those who simply have or will read your post, as educators, regardless of grade, we wrestle with what might be perceived to be "what is right" and "what might not be so right". This is what makes educators researchers...constantly rethinking practices in an effort to support student learning, to the best of abilities, while honouring the learner, cognizant of current evidence-based research and being true to self. You have made me wonder about the word balance and remind me of how our practices need to be eclectic, supported by pedagogical intentions, with the learner at the centre of all decision making.
    Times have changed. It seems that being in education is both exciting and complex. There are many new roles, like that of researcher, reflective and responsive educator, that invite us to dig deeper into what learning and teaching really is. And as is said often, each time we think we have an answer, a few more questions surface, making this profession a calling rather than an occupation. Thank you for reminding us to "be kind to yourself" along the journey, giving ourselves permission to consult our internal compass and "adjust our course" accordingly along the way.

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing blog,Very good.Keep up the good work.
    Preschool in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete